How satisfied are children and parents with contact lenses?
Childen and teens like contacts a lot better than glasses. This was one of the results of a study coordinated by the Ohio State University College of Optometry. The CLIP study (Contact Lenses In Pediatrics) assessed contact lens benefits for children (8 to 12 years old) and teens (13 to 17 years old).
In the study, 82.7% of children and 83.6% of teens said they like contacts a little or a lot better, while only around 5% preferred glasses.
Seven in ten children studied reported that their vision was "perfect" with contact lenses, the rest saying it was "ok/pretty good". Teens were slightly less satisfied, with slightly over half describing their vision as perfect. Younger children were also slightly more satisfied with the comfort of their contacts than teens, with half reporting their lenses are always comfortable and four in ten saying they are usually comfortable.
Parents: No problems
At the end of the study, 96.2% of the children's parents and 98.6% of teens' parents were "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with their child's contact lenses.
Two thirds of children were satisfied enough to purchase more lenses after the three-month study. Despite their perhaps higher expectations and lesser satisfaction, a larger proportion of teens continued using lenses.
The most important reason parents mentioned for not buying more contact lenses was their high price, with teens saying time was also a factor. Only one parent in 144 said they had to stop because the child did not take care of his contact lenses well enough.
- Many dogs and cats have cataracts. A German technology makes vision correction possible for animals using an interocular lens.
Contact Lenses for Animals
- Amblyopia, or lazy eye, can be treated discreetly with contact lenses. No kid wants a patch!
Bye Bye Lazy Eyes
- Vanity lenses look great but are not without dangers. Read how to prevent problems.
Avoid These Risks
- Sunglasses are not always enough. Use contact lenses to block harmful UV radiation.
UV Blocking Contacts
- Continuous wear contact lenses are great, but have been blamed for eye infections. Do new materials help?
- The eye can handle the strain of contact lenses even at a surprisingly young age. What about the patient?
Contacts for Children
- Contact lenses could help stop teenager myopia from getting worse.
Stop Adolescent Myopia
- Can contact lenses be used safely in the swimming pool or in the sauna?
Contacts in the Pool
- Make your contact lenses last longer with proper care.
Extending Lens Life
- Keep your eyes healthy with these easy-to-follow rules.
9 Health Rules
- Contact lenses are often blamed for dry eyes. Choose the right lenses and suffer no more.
Prevent Dry Eyes
- Laser eye surgery has grown in popularity. We compared it to using contact lenses.
LASIK vs. Contacts
- Coloured lenses can enhance your appearance dramatically.
See Better, Look Better