How To Interpret Contact Lens Case Abbreviations
AD (add): the additional power in bifocal contact lenses. Usually between +1.00 and +3.00.
AX (axis): location of astigmatism in degrees (°). Value between 0° and 180°. This is only used on prescriptions for toric lenses and is accompanied by the term CYL.
BC: base curve, or radius (in millimetres). Refers to the curvature of the eye lens. Usually between 8.0 and 9.5, with 8.6 being one of the most common values.
CYL: cylinder. In toric lenses, the area of extra power to correct astigmatism. Usually between -0.50 and -3.00.
DD: daily disposable or disc diameter
DW: daily wear
DIA: diameter of the lens (in millimetres). Typical values are 13.8, 14.0, 14.2 and 14.5.
EW: extended wear
FTW: full-time wear
OD: oculus dextrus, or right eye (also RE)
OS: oculus sinister, or left eye (also LE)
OU: both eyes
PWR: power or SPH, SF: sphere. The strength of the contact lens in diopters (D). A negative value means nearsightedness (myopia) and a positive value means farsightedness (hyperopia).
RGP: rigid gas permeable
- Many dogs and cats have cataracts. A German technology makes vision correction possible for animals using an interocular lens.
Contact Lenses for Animals
- Amblyopia, or lazy eye, can be treated discreetly with contact lenses. No kid wants a patch!
Bye Bye Lazy Eyes
- Vanity lenses look great but are not without dangers. Read how to prevent problems.
Avoid These Risks
- Sunglasses are not always enough. Use contact lenses to block harmful UV radiation.
UV Blocking Contacts
- Continuous wear contact lenses are great, but have been blamed for eye infections. Do new materials help?
- The eye can handle the strain of contact lenses even at a surprisingly young age. What about the patient?
Contacts for Children
- Contact lenses could help stop teenager myopia from getting worse.
Stop Adolescent Myopia
- Can contact lenses be used safely in the swimming pool or in the sauna?
Contacts in the Pool
- Make your contact lenses last longer with proper care.
Extending Lens Life
- Keep your eyes healthy with these easy-to-follow rules.
9 Health Rules
- Contact lenses are often blamed for dry eyes. Choose the right lenses and suffer no more.
Prevent Dry Eyes
- Laser eye surgery has grown in popularity. We compared it to using contact lenses.
LASIK vs. Contacts
- Coloured lenses can enhance your appearance dramatically.
See Better, Look Better