Toric Contact Lenses
Toric contact lenses can help people with astigmatism. A toric lens corrects not only common myopia or hyperopia but also astigmatism.
Astigmatism is most often caused by an irregularly shaped cornea. It is a fairly common vision problem, and requires that the contact lens have two distinct curves in the lens.
To compensate for the abnormal eye shape, toric lenses are asymmetrical and should not rotate in the eye as regular (spherical) lenses may. Therefore, they have a special design to keep them in correct position. For example, the bottom part of the lens might be heavier to keep it facing down.
In years past, many patients with astigmatism were unable to wear contact lenses. Spherical contact lenses, with their single curve, did not fit the cornea well, and could not correct the astigmatism. However, these days almost all patients with astigmatism can wear contact lenses.
Earlier, soft contact lenses were generally not available for this condition. RGP lenses are still often used but nowadays there are also many soft alternatives, even one day toric lenses (see selection).
Because of a more specialized design, toric contact lenses are more expensive than spherical lenses. In some cases of a very high astigmatism, a custom-made contact lens must be ordered. In addition, toric contact lenses are now available in many colour options.
- Better vision for persons with astigmatism
- More expensive than regular contact lenses
1-Day Acuvue Moist for Astigmatism,
- Many dogs and cats have cataracts. A German technology makes vision correction possible for animals using an interocular lens.
Contact Lenses for Animals
- Amblyopia, or lazy eye, can be treated discreetly with contact lenses. No kid wants a patch!
Bye Bye Lazy Eyes
- Vanity lenses look great but are not without dangers. Read how to prevent problems.
Avoid These Risks
- Sunglasses are not always enough. Use contact lenses to block harmful UV radiation.
UV Blocking Contacts
- Continuous wear contact lenses are great, but have been blamed for eye infections. Do new materials help?
- The eye can handle the strain of contact lenses even at a surprisingly young age. What about the patient?
Contacts for Children
- Contact lenses could help stop teenager myopia from getting worse.
Stop Adolescent Myopia
- Can contact lenses be used safely in the swimming pool or in the sauna?
Contacts in the Pool
- Make your contact lenses last longer with proper care.
Extending Lens Life
- Keep your eyes healthy with these easy-to-follow rules.
9 Health Rules
- Contact lenses are often blamed for dry eyes. Choose the right lenses and suffer no more.
Prevent Dry Eyes
- Laser eye surgery has grown in popularity. We compared it to using contact lenses.
LASIK vs. Contacts
- Coloured lenses can enhance your appearance dramatically.
See Better, Look Better